<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d16099677\x26blogName\x3dPoker+Twitch\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://pokertwitch.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://pokertwitch.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7310458489490254455', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

A Plethora of Poker Posts

I don't usually post much during the weekends due to preferring to spend my time working (part time job), spending time with the family, cleaning/organizing/rearranging the house, cooking, watching TV/Movies, and of course actually PLAYING poker instead of just reading/thinking/writing about it as I have to do during much of the average work week. As I sat down today and created a list of events I wanted to blog about, I realized that I've got at least 5 posts to do, and it'll probably be up to six or seven after a trip to the Bathroom (See Vision Knights - August 9, 2005) . I'm hoping to get a couple of posts up per day until I get caught up, of course once I am, it will be the weekend again. The circle of life continues.

For my first post, I need to start off by saying that I've been doing very well at Poker Stars 300+20 Play Money SNG's. In the past week or so I have placed 1st in a 27 player game, and have placed 2nd in two different 45 player games. I've had a few bad games in which I didn't place, but generally when I look back on those particular games, I realize I probably shouldn't have been in them in the first place. Unfortunately I don't have access to any of my hand histories at the moment (I'm going to have to start a spreadsheet one of these days to help me track them more efficiently) so I don't have an exact number of the games I've played versus the games I've placed in the money on.

And now comes the frustrating part. On a bit of a high from my well played 300 SNG's, I decided to tackle a few 2000 SNG's. I busted out of both of them well before the money. I don't mind losing (much) however what made me nervous was, questioning weather or not I was good enough to play at that level? And if I wasn't, how could I bring myself up to that level? I've read some books, (and will continue to read more), websites, magazines, played conservatively as I was supposed to do, and yet I still found myself looking like Matt Damon in Rounders after Teddy "KGB" busts him out in the opening scene. One of my concerns is that I'm fairly alone in my Poker hobby/obsession as none of my friends play, and I haven't yet made any good online friends with whom I'm able to discuss my play and help analyze where my errors are. One thing I have decided however is to more carefully maintain my Play Money Bankroll and treat it more like a real money bankroll for discipline practice. From now on, I'm not going to play in a 2000 SNG until I have built up a bankroll of over 10,000. I should be able to do it by playing a few more 300 SNG's and I might try a bit of Limit and maybe some No Limit Ring games.

I have come to the conclusion that these games should just be added to the pile of games and filed under the category of "Games I didn't win" and not be to overanalyzed into leading me to believe that I have no chance of doing well in real money games or tournaments. I happened up on Card Squad the other day, and they have a section where you can email them a question or a hand history and they will (try) to review it and get back to you, so I decided to give that a shot. I have yet to hear back from them, but I hope to sooner or later. Until then, I have gathered my own evidence and data and drawn my own conclusions. The evidence for this comes from the results of two Freeroll's that I recently participated in, and is the topic of my next post.

I could still use some Poker Friends though; feel free to send me an email!